
Think Like A Dog: Canine Adventures into the Science of Positive Psychology- Dr. Jen Golbeck, PhD
Atria Books
Release Date: September 1, 2026
Rating: 📚📚📚📚
Synopsis: A engaging exploration of dogs and positive pyschology, this book reveals the surprising science that explains how your dog thinks and acts from Jen Golbeck, the “internet’s dog mom” behind the massive social media platform The Golden Ratio and the author of The Purest Bond.
______________________________________________________
I got the advance of this book just as my family and I were adopting a new dog and I thought the timing would be perfect- I'd learn about the latest in dog psychology and how to make sure our new dog could thrive in her new environment.
Golbeck combines her personal obervations (she rescues and fosters Goldens), social media observations, and scientific studies to look at 7 aspects of Positive Psychology for dogs, including empathy, kindness, persistence, and humor. The scientific studies I found interesting- dogs have been taught to lie down in functioning MRIs so we can actually see what is going on in their brains while they are thinking (proving they aren't actually, for example, feeling guilty when we catch them doing things they know they shouldn't do). I very much appreciated the relaxed, conversational style of writing throughout the book- I didn't need to be a scientist to understand what Golbeck was talking about!
Sometimes a few of the anecdotes seemed to wander off the subject than other times, and I was hoping for more ideas in practical solutions to coming up with engagement and problem solving puzzles (we adopted a Malinois, I'm always looking for those ideas), but there were interesting facts, and it was a fast and fun read.
Everyone who lives with dogs should definitely read Think Like A Dog!
I received an ARC of this book in exchange for an honest review
Golbeck combines her personal obervations (she rescues and fosters Goldens), social media observations, and scientific studies to look at 7 aspects of Positive Psychology for dogs, including empathy, kindness, persistence, and humor. The scientific studies I found interesting- dogs have been taught to lie down in functioning MRIs so we can actually see what is going on in their brains while they are thinking (proving they aren't actually, for example, feeling guilty when we catch them doing things they know they shouldn't do). I very much appreciated the relaxed, conversational style of writing throughout the book- I didn't need to be a scientist to understand what Golbeck was talking about!
Sometimes a few of the anecdotes seemed to wander off the subject than other times, and I was hoping for more ideas in practical solutions to coming up with engagement and problem solving puzzles (we adopted a Malinois, I'm always looking for those ideas), but there were interesting facts, and it was a fast and fun read.
Everyone who lives with dogs should definitely read Think Like A Dog!
I received an ARC of this book in exchange for an honest review
No comments:
Post a Comment